Letter to Monty 4

Dear Monty,

Did you know that Emily Dickinson the poet used dashes as punctuation? It is an alternative simplistic form of punctuation that I have always used in my journal - because I know my punctuation and grammar leave a lot to be desired.

The sun shines in the 'studio' filtered through the 'Italian' trees. - lighting up Boris the Simmental Bull. Framed in plaster now drying - like a vision - a moment of clarity.
Life is poised on a knife-edge. The distractions of wants, needs and rights cloud our days with a fog. I struggle through looking for the light. The jewel of it shines through from time to time.
This is my soul laid bare on this earth I came from - from dust I came to dust I return. Boris is an expression of where I came from and where I go - the cattle on a thousand hills.

My surname means castrated bull ! That is how I feel in this life...castrated by a job which is itself castrated by tick boxes and audit. What I am is a collection of experience and memory, of poetry, art, conflict and faith. Cows in some cultures are sacred. Boris is my sacred bull - he is the truth of my life. There is an honesty to working the land which is lost in our materialistic age. I cannot work the land, but I can garden and paint and carve plaster.

Cheers Monty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Monty Don 48

Weariness and the NGS

Monty, where does the road take us ?