3rd september 2011 2nd letter

Dear Monty,

'The Glory of the Lord has risen upon thee' just listening to Messiah by Handel.

I looked at the garden this morning after watching GW last night- and it looks scruffy and without merit in comparison with your garden !!! Then in my jealousy I said to myself- well that Monty Don and Sir Roy Strong can afford to have 'proper' gardens....I thought this despite hearing you say that it can be as joyous having a small patch as rolling acres! Then worse than this I thought huh, 'Jewel' garden that's very pretentious naming a garden in the first place !
Oh see how I slide into a mean spirited mindset....then after feeding the chickens, the clouds lifted- the sunlight breaks through just for a moment and lights up my'Italian' garden...and little jewels appear...new cystus flowers just opening....literally like small jewels in amoungst the green...and the rose beyond....scruffy roses...scruffy beyond !- but jewels.

I too have a jewel garden and I can see what a privilage it is to have a small scruffy patch of ground...with robin song, frog croak and chicken cluck.

Here endeth this mornings lesson. Amen.

Cheers Monty,
Paul the deluded artist and gardener.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Monty Don 48

Weariness and the NGS

Monty, where does the road take us ?